“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf, A Room of One’s Own. Mamtu Yammy.
Love for Mamtu, The dumplings of North.
Life is so endlessly delicious. Plan a tour to Gilgit Baltistan. Take a taste of Mamtu and seize the moment for your life. There is no love sincerer than the love of food. Made your love for Mamtu lifetime. Mamtu, the dumplings of North, is a unique and very tasty dish in Gilgit Baltistan. Mamtu is very delicious fast food originally came from China. In Pakistan, you can only find Mamtu in Gilgit Baltistan. Some may consider it a traditional food of Gilgit Baltistan.
Why is the dumplings of North a special and Unique Dish?
Here is the reason, The Mamtu dumplings are steam boiled. The steam from boiling water gradually cook these tasty dumplings. Mantu (dumpling) is a steam boiled dish which is filled with chopped meat (lamb, beef), onion, chili and garlic and steamed for several hours in in a multi layer steamer. It is served with its special Sauce and toppings. The beef mince sautes well with all the spices then wrapped up in the floor and cooked with steam and served with vinegar and a mixture of spices is just amazing and delicious.
Recipe for Mamtu, How to prepare it at home?
- Heat the oil or ghee in a wok or frying pan and add the lamb.
- Fry over low heat until lightly browned, stirring to separate the meat.
- Add the onion and stir-fry until it is translucent.
- Add the garlic, spices and salt and stir-fry for another 3 minutes or until fragrant.
- Transfer to a bowl to cool.
- Place a heaped teaspoon of lamb filling in the middle of a wonton wrapper.
- Brush the edges with a little water and draw two opposite corners together to meet in the middle.
- Draw in the other two corners and seal the edges. You should have a square pouch.
- Repeat with the remaining wrappers and filling.
- Place the Mamtu in a steamer, making sure they don’t touch,
- And steam for 10 minutes.
- Top each Mamtu with a spoonful of yogurt,
|600ml||(1/4 cup) vegetable oil or clarified butter ghee.|
|500g||Lean minced lamb.|
|4||Onions finely chopped.|
|2 tsp||Finely chopped garlic.|
|½ tsp||Ground coriander.|
|1 tsp||Ground cumin.|
|¼ tsp||Chili powder.|
|40||Shanghai (Square white) wonton wrappers.|
|Natural Yogurt, to serve.|
|Chopped flat leaf parsley, to serve|
|Vinegar, to serve.|